Friday, January 16, 2009

Heaven, All Wrappped Up in Chocolate

I love chocolate covered cherries. Brian knows this intimately. I made sure to drill it into his brain when we were first married, and now I seem to get them every year for Christmas. Queen Anne are my favorites. I know, they're just the ones you get from Winco, but I've tried more expensive, luxury versions, and they just aren't as good.

I love to eat the bottom off, and then you have a sweet little chocolate cup filled with creamy, sugary liquid and a nice plump candied cherry floating in the middle of it all. It's beautiful.

This year, Brian came home with a semi-large heavy box, which he wrapped, wrote my name on, and placed under the tree. But before he put it under the tree, he had me hold it and shake it to guess what it was. "Ten pounds of chocolate covered cherries," I joked, but from holding and shakng it, my guess was actually something ceramic-y, like a serving platter or something. I don't know why Brian would get that for me, but it's what it felt like.

On Christmas morning, when I opened that box I found fifteen boxes of Queen Anne chocolate covered cherries. Fifteen boxes! That's just over six pounds! I couldn't believe that I had been so close.

You can probably guess what we took to our New Years Eve party: a platter of chocolate covered cherries. And you can probably guess what I go for when I want to indulge in something wonderful after the kids have gone to bed and my husband isn't around: Heaven, all wrapped up in chocolate.

3 comments:

NaDell said...

I LOVE those! My dad would always get some as a gift and then pass them around the room. (He's so nice). Love them. Really, I do!

PS. That is pretty funny that you went out to the same place we did, but for lunch instead of dinner. (The wait wasn't bad though, FYI.)

Johnsons said...

I LOVE CHOCOLATE TOO!

Brooklet said...

How did I know ever know that about you? Was this a post high school thing? I, mean, I feel like you have been living a separate life. . . okay, a little too dramatic.