Friday, December 12, 2008

Season of Miracles

Have you had one of those days where you wake up and you feel great, and for the first fifteen minutes you think of all the wonderful things you're going to accomplish that day? I'm going to completely clean the house, you think, and organize the cupboards and finish this and that, and it's going to be great! And then reality hits and the kids cling to your legs all day and cry when you try to do anything but sit and hold them - but the thing is, they don't really want you to hold them or play with them. They just want to keep you from doing anything but pay attention to them. And then at the end of the day you realize you didn't accomplish anything at all, not just the things on your list.

I've had days like that, and they stink. But today was not one of those days!

I woke up with no specific plans on accomplishing anything, but I actually did so much. We had a slow, relaxing morning. The house was reasonably clean, and at 11:15 we took Alyssa to school. The boys and I made a quick stop at Winco, and both boys fell asleep on the way home...and stayed asleep long enough for me to bake a ton of Christmas tree sugar cookies. And my parents just happened to stop by a little before I had to pick up Alyssa, so I was able to leave the boys with them, instead of waking them up to drive to Alyssa's school.

And this afternoon the kids stayed happy enough for me to make goodies to deliver to our neighbors tomorrow. Plus we cleaned the house, and went to a Barbershop Christmas concert.

It has been a wonderful day, and I've gotten so much done. Who knew that could ever happen?

And Brian just got home. He gave us all hugs at the door, but now he's being lovingly attacked by the kids. I've got to go fight for my turn.

No comments: