Saturday, December 06, 2008

Missing My Pillow Flipper

Brian and I spent our honeymoon at the Anniversary Inn in Logan Utah. It was snowy and beautiful. Being Valentine's Day weekend, we got a huge discount at Tony Roma's next door when we showed our hotel key, so we ate there a lot. We watched a lot of Richard Gere movies, because that's what they had in the hotel movie library. And we discovered that when two people try to cuddle while they're sleeping at night, one of those people usually has their head on the pillow, and the other person usually has their head halfway on the pillow or not on the pillow at all.

We didn't like that situation, so we came up with a brilliant plan, and stopped at Walmart on the way into Provo, UT to purchase a body pillow that would soon become our normal pillow. We bought a green pillow case for it, saw that it fit perfectly across our queen sized bed, and I, at least, was awestruck by our brilliance.

That night, our first night together in our tiny apartment, we snuggled down in bed, completely comfortable, and fell asleep. Not too much later, I was woken up when the pillow was pulled from under my head, turned over, then plopped back on top of my face. I don't think I really understood exactly what was going on until quite a few pillow flips later, but about halfway through mid morning, I discovered that every so often through the night, Brian flips his pillow. He picks it up, turns it over, sometimes folds it in two, then lays his head back down. He does this because he likes to lay his face on the cool side of the pillow, then as his body heat warms the side he's laying on, he flips it to the cool side...all night long.

So our brilliant plan didn't work. We put the body pillow on the bed when we made it each day, and took it off when we went to sleep each night. Brian has had his own pillow to flip ever since then.

Now the good thing about Brian flipping and punching and fluffing his pillow throughout the night is that his pillows never go flat. My pillows always go flat, which is why I'm glad that he goes for my pillow on mornings that he stays in bed longer than I do, because that way my pillows get some good fluffing, too.

So with Brian being gone, my pillow is very flat. I lay down each night, and I can hardly tell that there is a pillow there at all. It's taken me a while to figure it out, but last night I discovered that I could use the pillow that he uses when he comes home! Problem solved, and I know which pillow he'll be using next time he comes to visit, because mine needs some serious fluffing.

3 comments:

5dollarFanatic said...

I have to say that is a cute story-it's fun how little things like that make a difference.

Shaillé said...

Haha, that's funny - I'm a pillow flipper too but not to that extreme. I only do it once in a while, but it is for the same reason.

Shaillé said...

My pillows still get flat though, so I guess I don't do it often enough. ;)