Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Shoulda Listened

When things get rough, like when I was pregnant and puking all over the place, Brian tells me to call someone for help. "Just ask someone to watch the kids for a while," he would say, but I didn't want to bother anyone. "If someone called you and asked you to watch their kids, would it bother you?"

No, it wouldn't bother at all. Not in the least. But I hate calling and asking for people to help. It feels like I'm putting them out, even if I might not be.

Yesterday morning I thought, "We should have Jenny and her kids over this afternoon. That would be fun." But then I got busy with the laundry and never called her. Then Steve (her husband) called and said that Jenny hurt her back pretty bad and could we please watch their kids? Of course I said yes, and they ended up just sending Katie over. Alyssa and Katie had a marvelous time together, but I couldn't help thinking that I should have called Jenny when I thought about it, then I could have offered to watch the kids instead of them having to ask.

3 comments:

Tonya said...

It's always hard to ask for help. I sometimes feel prompted to do something and then push it aside. I usually regret it later. You would think we would learn to follow those promptings huh? We're still learning right?

Cam said...

It's so hard to ask for help, I always feel like everyone is so on top of things, so I should be too! And even when you don't have to ask, and someone offers to help you- it's still so hard to accept it! That's something I think we all need to work on.

Kim-the-girl said...

Good thing we get a chance to learn...over and over. Maybe one day we'll all be humble enough to be OK with asking for help and then accept it. Don't beat yourself up too much, you did good in the end. :)