Sunday, October 07, 2007

I Love Conference!

I've been a little uninspired concerning my blog lately, but luckily this weekend gives me something great to blog about. Conference. I love General Conference! When I was younger it always seemed like the two hours would drag by, and then we'd have to sit still for another session in the afternoon. But as I got older, I started to look forward to General Conference each Spring and Fall, and now I thoroughly enjoy it. This morning I noticed that our little family was in the living room, listening to the Lord's servants, (at least two of us were) and it made me so happy that we have this opportunity.

My favorite talk was the one by Elder Dallin H. Oaks about being good, better, and best. I loved how he talked about so many things: internet, movies, children's activities, careers. There is so much out there that we can fill our time with that isn't necessarily bad, but doesn't help us progress. It's making me stand more firm in our goal to always have family dinner together, no matter how crazy things get as the kids get older. Or I guess we're not supposed to let them get that crazy. We've slacked on scripture study this last week, and we need to get back on track. Also, I usually check my email and blogs each morning after I get the kids their breakfast. It would be so much better for me to sit with them instead of at the computer. I also like when he said that our youth are being entertained to (spiritual) death. That is so true, but it's not just the youth. Our whole society nowadays is centered around "me" and what makes "me" happy. It's pathetic, and it's got to change.

Anyway, I deem the 177th Semiannual General Conference of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints a huge success. Is it ever not a success? Personally, I loved it.

2 comments:

Tonya said...

Oh yeah, I agree completely. I love conference weekend and this one was even better having my hubby to watch with me and actually get something out of it.

There were to many good ones to pick a favorite but I really liked the one that talked about the facts, faith, family and fruits that we can use to tell others abou the gospel. Also, President Monson is such a good storyteller.

Brooklet said...

I also like conference, though I almost wish someone would babysit during conference because I missed a lot with my mess making Claire.